From Stefano Invernizzi <stefano.invernizz...@gmail.com>
Subject Proposal for new features
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 07:28:53 GMT
Hi, I registered to the mailing list a couple of weeks ago, but this is my
first message, so I want to introduce myself. I am Stefano Invernizzi from
the “Politecnico di Milano” and, together with my colleague Simone Gatti, I
am working on a thesis on Allura. Our goal is to implement some tools
allowing to increase awareness on the Allura platform, therefore we would
like to get some help from you, in order to be sure that our work matches
the community’s requirements. Particularly, we would like to:

   1. Implement a mechanism to gather and show data about each user’s
   contribution in all the projects to which he/she takes part. This data will
   consist of several metrics and it will be shown in each user’s personal
   profile. Metrics will be numeric evaluations of the amount and quality of
   participation.
   2. Introduce the organization model into the Allura forge. This will
   allow each company or organization to register to the forge and to indicate
   which users are currently enrolled in the company itself, and it will allow
   to assess which companies are working on a single project hosted on the
   forge.
   Therefore, each company and organization will have its own webpage,
   showing all the relevant data, in a fashion similar to a user profile. The
   profiles for companies and users will also be linked together. Moreover, we
   recently discovered that Allura already has the concept of “neighborhood”.
   Of course, this is not exactly the same, and we think that it would be a
   good solution to keep the concepts independent from each other, with links
   connecting them. Anyway, we are open to different proposals.
   3. Extend the user profile with optional additional data, like personal
   contacts (e.g.: Skype address and social networks accounts), time-slot
   availability, geographic localization, a list of skills, … . We think that
   this will increase trust and foster cooperation among users.

 We hope to get as much help as possible to refine our ideas. If possible,
we would also appreciate very much to get some additional documentation (for
the moment, we are using these webpages<http://allura.sourceforge.net/epydoc/>
) helping us to better understand the structure of the code and how to
modify it, but we don’t know if such documentation is available. Thank you
very much!

Stefano Invernizzi