From Stefano Invernizzi <stefano.invernizz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for new features
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 09:19:39 GMT
Thank you for your answer, and I'm sorry if mine was so slow. I had a look
at the activity stream feature but, as far as I can understand reading its
documentation, it only allows to get a list of events related to a certain
project or user and, even if it is very interesting, that's not exactly
what I meant. Our idea was to show for each user, and not only for the
followed ones, a set of indicators like, for example, the total number of
submitted messages, the number of LOC submitted by the user, maybe
splitting data for different programming languages and project category,
and so on. Some of these values are a sort of numeric summary of the
timeline, others are more complex. Anyway, we think this indicators could
be useful to give an overview of the previous contribution of the user,
helping other users of the forge to evaluate his skills and fostering the
collaboration with those users who have the required features to contribute
to a certain project. I hope I didn't misunderstand the activity stream
feature.

Also, we wanted to do something similar, with slightly different
indicators, for organizations. Neighborhoods are certainly something very
similar to what we want to do, because putting together the projects of the
same organization is one of the most important purposes of adding the
organization concept. However, as far as I can see, neighborhoods don't
have these indicators, and they don't have links between the organization
and the users belenging to the organization itself (and vice-versa). We
also wanted to include more data about the organization, such as, for
example, size of the organization, type (an organization could be a
company, university, ...), tags indicating working areas, and so on.
Finally, neighborhoods are not available for all organizations, but we
think it would be interesting to represent also small organizations on the
forge, because this could increase trust in users as well as in the
developed projects.

In the meanwhile, we started including some more data in a user account,
but we still have to complete the new features. Since we are new to the
forge, we would like to be sure of how our contribution should be
developed. As far as we understand from the "Contributing Code" of the
Allura project, we should create a fork of the project and then, when the
new features will be completely developed, we should send a merge request.
Is this correct? I'm sorry if I bore you with this question, but we are new
to the community.

Thank you very much,

Stefano