From Wayne Witzel III <wwitz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: handling optional GPL dependencies
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 20:43:35 GMT
On Friday, August 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Dave Brondsema wrote:

> 1) How to run the importer tests. I'm thinking they should
> automatically skip if the mediawiki package is not present. An
> alternative would be to move them to some location so that they are not
> run by default, and would have to be manually run.

I like the idea of checking for the mediawiki package and then marking them as skip if that
package is not found.

> 2) Where to define the dependency. Currently all deps are listed in
> requirements-common.txt which is used during regular installation. It
> should not be there since it'll be optional. We could have a
> requirements-optional.txt and put all optional deps there. But that
> could grow to be a hodge-podge and only useful if someone wants
> absolutely everything (e.g. during a test suite run). I think also the
> importer script should give specific installation instruction if it is
> attempted to be run.

This won't be the only time we run in to this ( we have reps now that are GPL) and I think
having a requirements-optional.txt is a fine way to deal with it. I think it will let us prune
down our current requirements some as well, which is good. I'd rather have a core set of requirements
and have the hodge-podge exist in a file named optional.

Wayne