From "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions ad Allura ...
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:09:34 GMT
Hi Dave,

On 22.08.2012 20:00, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Patches:  Perhaps I am not understanding the problem clearly.  Are you
> talking about a ticket in your "Patches" tracker?  E.g.
> https://sourceforge.net/p/oorexx/patches/171/  On there I can see the
> attached patch file and can open it fine.  If you are subscribed to a
> ticket, you should get an email when a file is attached.  It'll have the
> attachment metadata, but not the whole file included.  Emailing the
> attachments could be a problem if they are very large.  Can you provide
> an example if I'm not on the right track here?
Maybe the following helps understand the built  "attitude/expectation" better: when following
project like ooRexx over the years as a former/potential developer it is important to learn
about
*all* supplied patches and *all* commits in general. Then, if patches, commits occur it used
to be
the case that an e-mail including the diffs got sent out via a relay-e-mail-list and anyone
who
subsribed to that e-mail list received it. Now, the diffs embedded in the e-mail would not
be
necessary, if the e-mail contained a list of files that got changed each with a link to get
to its
diff (and ultimately one link that would present all diffs at once). For study purposes or
merely
documentation printing out those diffs (either physically or as a pdf) is important, if an
area got
changed that one has special interest in.

Following a specific tracker item needs the prerequisite, that one learns that a tracker item
got
created in the first place, which is quite cumbersome. [In the example
"https://sourceforge.net/p/oorexx/patches/171/" one would be able to get access to the patch
attachment, but I have not found a way to display it inline with color highlighting.]

So maybe the bottom line would be: allow for sending out any patch (and commit) via a relay
e-mail-list, which can be subscribed by interested parties. This would allow for a push model,
where
one would be informed that a patch (commit) got submitted/applied. If that e-mail contained
the
aforementioned links to get to diffs (on each file or optionally having one big diff for all
affected files), then this would be great!

> Sorting bugs:  There is a ticket
> https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/4596/ for making the sort order
> oldest-first by default.  Several people have voted for it already, so
> we'll probably get to it soon.  Of course, patches are welcome too :)
>
> After you do a search, there is a 'Help' button near the search box.
> That help box details the fields available for searching and sorting
> (near the bottom of that help box).
Thank you, yes, I have studied the help box. (It seems that now the initial order of the bug
tracker
is newest first, oldest last, which is great! However, when doing a search on the bug tracker
system, the order is oldest first, newest last.)

Here there would be the following ideas/requests: allow for displaying the column "reported_by_s"
and in addition allow/show a field/column "reported on".and "mod_date_dt".

Also, in general a RFE (not sure whether I should open a ticket for it) for sorting: how about
having a popup (like the field popup where one can determine which fields to display) that
displays
all sortable fields which one can activate for sorting (having a radio button group of "ascending",
"descending", "none") and which allows to move the fields up and down to determine the sorting
order, if sorting should be done on more than one field and make it saveable for the user
as well?
(If such a definable sort order becomes available, then it should be applied on search results
as well.)

> Commit diffs in emails:  I see there are a lot of votes and comments on
> https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/2922/  I assume many are from
> ooRexx developers.  It certainly is on our radar due to that, and
> something we'd like to add.  When subscribed (btw, admins are
> automatically subscribed to all tools including SVN) emails will be sent
> with each commit, including a link to view the diff.
Maybe making this feature available for regular users (maybe as an option to activate) would
already
solve this requeust?

> In the mean time, you could consider using the RSS feed at
> https://sourceforge.net/p/oorexx/code-0/feed  I know that's not as good
> as an email.  We also want to get svn-notify available as a post-commit
> hook, but it isn't available yet.
Great, thank you, looking forward to it!

Maybe a last pointer: personally, I have been active in many opensource projects to the point,
where
I am totally "overdrawn". Therefore it is extremely helpful to get notifications (but also
to be
able to turn them off, if too many come along).

---

Ad "patches are welcome": please believe me, if I had time available, I would love to help!
Unfortunately, at this time I have been overwhelmed with too much work and projects and simply
do
not have the resources free to help personally in this interesting project. The only thing
I can do
at the moment is trying to give constructive feedback and trying to explain the reasons why
I would
request something that seems to be very importang/helpful as a person who has been following
and
participating in sourceforge projects for many years. [I think everyone on the ooRexx development
team is courageous, adventerous and constructively trying to adopt the new Allura system.
It seems
that this is of mutual benefit bringing experienced opensource developers together to help
each other!]

---rony

> On 8/22/12 6:15 AM, Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> having been many years interested/active in <https://sourceforge.net/projects/oorexx/>
I have