From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: handling optional GPL dependencies
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:42:23 GMT
On 8/15/12 11:48 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Dave Brondsema <dave@brondsema.net> wrote:
>> PySVN can be very difficult to build, so that should be optional for
>> sure during installation.
>
> I would assume that PySVN would be pre-installed on the system (via
> some package, or PyPI). Why would this one need to be built?

PySVN isn't a typical python package, so it can't be installed from
PyPI.  On Ubuntu (what our README assumes you'll use) installing a
system package does work, but then you can't get it into the python
virtualenv like other normal python packages.  I'm not sure exactly how
it would work out for other platforms (I'm sure it's possible) but my
understanding is that there will always be extra hoops to jump through
for pysvn.

>> Going with #2 and keeping git as a default part of Allura installation
>> (but removable) is fine with me.  IIRC, it's not too hard to install the
>> git libraries, and git is a pretty popular SCM.  And all libraries
>> needed for ForgeGit to work are BSD licensed (gitdb, gitpython, async,
>> smmap)
>
> Similar for the Git-related packages.

Yes, all the git python packages can be installed normally from pypi,
using the normal process for all our dependencies (pip install -r
requirements.txt)

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal