From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Proposal for new features
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:22:13 GMT
On 8/14/12 5:19 AM, Stefano Invernizzi wrote:
> Thank you for your answer, and I'm sorry if mine was so slow. I had a look
> at the activity stream feature but, as far as I can understand reading its
> documentation, it only allows to get a list of events related to a certain
> project or user and, even if it is very interesting, that's not exactly
> what I meant. Our idea was to show for each user, and not only for the
> followed ones, a set of indicators like, for example, the total number of
> submitted messages, the number of LOC submitted by the user, maybe
> splitting data for different programming languages and project category,
> and so on. Some of these values are a sort of numeric summary of the
> timeline, others are more complex. Anyway, we think this indicators could
> be useful to give an overview of the previous contribution of the user,
> helping other users of the forge to evaluate his skills and fostering the
> collaboration with those users who have the required features to contribute
> to a certain project. I hope I didn't misunderstand the activity stream
> feature.

I think you understand it correctly.  The features you describe would be
different than what activity streams would provide.

> Also, we wanted to do something similar, with slightly different
> indicators, for organizations. Neighborhoods are certainly something very
> similar to what we want to do, because putting together the projects of the
> same organization is one of the most important purposes of adding the
> organization concept. However, as far as I can see, neighborhoods don't
> have these indicators, and they don't have links between the organization
> and the users belenging to the organization itself (and vice-versa). We
> also wanted to include more data about the organization, such as, for
> example, size of the organization, type (an organization could be a
> company, university, ...), tags indicating working areas, and so on.
> Finally, neighborhoods are not available for all organizations, but we
> think it would be interesting to represent also small organizations on the
> forge, because this could increase trust in users as well as in the
> developed projects.

Makes sense to me.  So maybe organization is a new distinct "thing" with
its own data and connections, and then optionally neighborhoods could be
connected to an organization when that makes sense.

> In the meanwhile, we started including some more data in a user account,
> but we still have to complete the new features. Since we are new to the
> forge, we would like to be sure of how our contribution should be
> developed. As far as we understand from the "Contributing Code" of the
> Allura project, we should create a fork of the project and then, when the
> new features will be completely developed, we should send a merge request.
> Is this correct? I'm sorry if I bore you with this question, but we are new
> to the community.

Yes, I think that would work well.  We don't have a lot of contributors
yet, so we don't have a well-established process.

Since you have outlined quite a bit of work, one thing to watch out for
is that your fork doesn't diverge too much and end up with conflicts
when we try to merge it.  There's two ways to help avoid that:  1) merge
back small incremental changes rather than waiting until you are
"completely done" and have tons to merge.  2) Keep merging the main
codebase back into your fork (at least once a week, I'd say) so that it
stays in sync.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal