From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: handling optional GPL dependencies
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 22:07:32 GMT
On 8/6/12 5:57 PM, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> On 06.08.2012 23:27, Dave Brondsema wrote:
>> On 8/6/12 3:53 PM, Peter Hartmann wrote:
>>>
>>> How does this affect planned switch to hg as default SCM in Allura?
>>> Seems kinda contradicting to me:
>>> https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/3883/ .
>>>
>>> Also, it's my first post here, so hi everyone.
>>>
>> Hi :)
>>
>> I don't think it's necessarily contradictory.  We can make Hg, Git, and
>> SVN all optional tools.  Git & SVN would still be packaged with the rest
>> of Allura, but not necessary for the base platform (the "Allura"
>> package) and its tests to run.
>>
>> I'm sure there are many use-cases where people would want to deploy
>> Allura without any scm tool.
>>
>> The downside, is that the platform's SCM support (base models,
>> controllers and templates) would not have much test coverage on their
>> own.  They'd still be covered when a specific tool's (hg, git, svn)
>> tests run.  If that were to be a problem we could also add more tests in
>> the Allura package, maybe even a dummy scm implementation.
>>
>> -Dave
>>
> I just did some work on the issue mentioned above (ticket #3883). Patch
> needs testing, which I will probably do tomorrow. However, my ultimate
> goal is to help Allura's making pypi release as soon as possible, to
> ease overall deployment and thus make futher development easier. With
> this in mind, if Hg begs for the same treatment as Git and SVN, I would
> need to see to it next. I guess final decision on how to handle this
> requires futher input from other devs as well?

Great to hear :)

It seems pretty clear to me that the ForgeHg package needs the same
treatment (making the core Allura package not depend on it), and even
more so: to make it a separate GPL-licensed project/repo.  The only
other option I see is to write an Apache-licensed Mercurial library, but
that seems unrealistic IMO.

If you give me your SourceForge username, I can add you as a developer
on the SF project so that you can assign #3883 to yourself.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal