From Dave Brondsema <dbronds...@geek.net>
Subject requirements for our VM
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 02:51:00 GMT
As noted in a different mail, I've requested a VM to be set up for us.

I've specified the services we need, as best I can forsee.  But I am not as
sure what we should ask for hardware specs.  Here is my best guesses.  What
do you all think?  I am assuming this will be a "small" Allura instance,
not needing to handle tons of traffic or data.

*RAM*
768M.  A sandbox (our dev environments at SourceForge) running mod_wsgi
with 2 processes, mongod and Allura's taskd and smtp_server, plus system
services clocks in at 400M used.  I expect the Apache instance will get
more traffic than a dev sandbox, and will need some breathing room

*CPU*
Not sure here.  Maybe 2 or 4 cores at a few Ghz each?  For comparison, our
dev sandbox VMs use 4 2Ghz cpus.

*Disk*
20G Pretty much all data goes into MongoDB (including files, using gridfs).
 The Allura test dataset (plus some extra testing stuff I've generated) is
1.2G of mongo files.  This will certainly grow over time as it is used.
 Logs will need some space, as will allura itself, python packages, the OS,
etc.  Git repos don't need to be considered, I don't think, since the
allura git repo will be hosted by Apache infrastructure and not within the
Allura VM (I hope we can find a way to get a readonly filesystem mount so
we can get code browsing to work).

Even if you don't have a clue either, a +1 for sanity would be appreciated
:)

--
Dave Brondsema
Principal Software Engineer - sf.net