incubator-airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Airavata 0.2-Incubating Release Candidate
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:01:37 GMT
I've found a (too) short period of time to do a quick review of the release
candidate, looking only at the L&N&D requirements so far.

Regrettably, I can only conclude that this release candidate isn't complaint
with the requirements and I'll have to vote -1 on it.

I also (just now) noticed, while looking back on the discussion thread we had on
the 0.1-incubating (RC 2) release vote, that Chathura pinged me (during the
Christmas holidays) with questions about my earlier comments.
I'm sorry I missed that one, otherwise maybe I could have given some earlier
feedback on these still outstanding problems.
Please don't hesitate to ping me again or even directly if I'm not responding:
typically I get 100ths of emails a day and certainly after a holiday I tend to
have missed one or two :)

The major problem I noticed, and actually something I reported also on the
previous release candidate, is that several or even all 'aggregating' artifacts,
including the release binary but also for example
gfac-axis2-interface-0.2-incubating.jar, messagebox-0.2-incubating.jar,
messagebroker-0.2-incubating.jar, etc. contain many embedded 3rd party
dependencies which should have been covered in each of these artifacts their own
NOTICE and/or LICENSE file.

As a very trivial example, take any of these jar (not the bin) artifacts and all
of them embed slf4j, but none of them have the required license for slf4j
appended to their LICENSE file (actually: no other license is appended).
And there are *many* 3rd party dependencies embedded in these examples, and
there are probably more (I haven't checked each and everyone).
IMO these omissions qualify as a blocker for a release.
Each released artifact should be regarded as 'standalone' and comply to the full
N&L requirements for everything they contain.

And this should even include and cover embedded 3rd party artifacts *own*
(embedded) N&L.

For example, the release binary artifact (tar.gz or zip) bundles the
jackrabbit-standalone-2.2.7.jar. This of course is a release from an Apache
'sister' project, meaning there is not need to provide a notice for jackrabbit
itself.
However, this particular artifact *itself* bundles many 3rd party dependencies
(merged within the jar file), and if you check the embedded NOTICE and LICENSE
file you'll see they (properly) cover many 3rd party licenses and notices. By
bundling this jackrabbit-standalone artifact, Airavata is required to merge
those into its own (root) NOTICE and LICENSE files as well.

I can understand this can be quite frustrating, and belief me I've just went
through several hours of (re)checking and updating/fixing similar problems for
only *one* module (rave-shindig) within Apache Rave myself. However, once these
issues are recognized (and they were pointed out before), they cannot be ignored
anymore. Ignorance is bliss as they say, but we're past that point now.

So my suggestion is to retract the VOTE and create dedicated JIRA issues for
tracking, fixing and then *validating* these issues *before* calling a next
vote. I'm surely willing to help validating the results, but my time is too
limited right now to help doing the grunt work.

As a quick heads-up how to deal with these requirements properly, may I suggest
reading the mail I send last week to dev@shindig about the similar thing there:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/shindig-dev/201201.mbox/%3C4F20C2D2.9030000@douma.nu%3E