incubator-airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: Development Roadmap
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 13:47:43 GMT
We are still waiting on the CMS to be setup so we can get the documentation and discussion
on the list. We can start with a high level architecture diagram and start drilling into components.
The main goal is to make sure we all are on the same page with the Airavata code. Meanwhile
we should also have the logo and web page so we can start marching.

Suresh

On May 13, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Suresh Marru wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> All of us clearly know what Airavata software is about in varying details,  but at the
same time I realize not every one of us on the list have a full understanding of the architecture
as a whole and sub-components. Along with inheriting the code donation, I suggest we focus
on bringing every one to speed by means of high level and low level architecture diagrams.
I will start a detailed email thread about this task. In short, currently the software assumes
understanding of e-Science in general and some details of Grid Computing. Our first focus
should be to bring the software to a level any java developer can understand and contribute.
Next the focus can be to make it easy for novice users.

> I thought a good place to start might be to list out the high level goals and then focus
on the first goal with detailed JIRA tasks. I am assuming you will steer us with a orthogonal
roadmap to graduation. I hope I am not implying we need to meet the following goals to graduate,
because some of them are very open ended. Also, please note that Airavata may have some of
these features already, I am mainly categorizing so we will have a focused effort in testing,
re-writing or new implementations.

> Airavata high level feature list:
>
> Phase 1: Construct, Execute and monitor workflows from pre-deployed web services. The
workflow enactment engine will be the inherent Airavata Workflow Interpreter. Register command
line applications as web services, construct and execute workflows with these application
services. The applications may run locally, on Grid enabled resources or by ssh'ing to a remote
resource. The client to test this phase workflows can be Airavata Workflow Client (XBaya)
running as a desktop application.

> Phase 2: Execute all of phase 1 workflows on Apache ODE engine by generating and deploying
BPEL. Develop and deploy gadget interfaces to Apache Rave container to support application
registration, workflow submission and monitoring components. Support applications running
on virtual machine images to be deployed to Amazon EC2, EUCALYPTUS and similar infrastructure-as-a-service
cloud deployments.

> Phase 3:  Expand the compute resources to Elastic Map Reduce and Hadoop based executions.
Focus on the data and metadata catalog integration like Apache OODT.

> I will stop here, to allow us to discuss the same. Once we narrow down on the high level
phase 1 goals, I will start a detailed discussion on where the code is now and the steps to
get to goal1.