From "Daniel Hannum" <dhan...@quovadx.com>
Subject RE: PPR and request scoping
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:33:16 GMT
But then the more stuff you want to save during the partial submit, the
more you have to put in session, and you're back where you started, with
a big session bean and all of the problems that brings. :(

I did some more investigation. Request beans are recreated but it
depends when you do your initialization work, whether you have a
problem. If you can do everything in the constructor, you're fine. If
you have to wait until after injection, I put it in the getters. Even in
request scope, that's fine because the getters are called again when the
next view is displayed. The only time you have a problem is when you
have a value change listener marked as IMMEDIATE and in that value
change listener you rely on bean state. In that case, it's after the
bean is created, but before any getters are called, thus, you have
undefined state.

Unfortunately, I have that situation all over the place because
virtually of my value change listeners are immediate to avoid form
validations!

If these beans were managed by Spring (they're not in my case), I
imagine the init-method property would get around this. Spring would
guarantee it would be executed before the VCL.

Other thoughts?