From "Francisco Passos" <francisco.pas...@opensoft.pt>
Subject Keeping state without session
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:22:56 GMT

Hello there.

Using just the request, I've found some solutions to keeping some state
between requests. I would like these findings to be validated and if you
find any incorrections, please point them out, since I'm going to rely
heavily on these mechanisms for a large-hit application (several hundreds
of users).

Method 1 - hidden inputs
========================

One of these mechanisms is placing <h:inputHidden
value="#{myBean.property}" /> in the destination page, which will
seamlessly populate the new instance property with the value it had in the

This requires adding one field for each value.
The values are discarded in subsequent requests to other pages, unless
they possess similar hidden inputs to be populated.

Method 2 - pageFlowScope
========================

Another method is using the pageFlowScope explicitly (for instance,
slightly modifying the getter and setter of a bean property in order to
use the pageFlowScope).

Albeit a scope, one cannot declare a managed bean to have that scope in
faces-config, which actually is not so cool.
This method requires manual retrieval and update of the variable in the
pageFlowScope.
And the values need to be discarded manually.
However, this allows for keeping context values in parallel browsing
sessions (which does not work when using session beans).

Method 3 - Dialog Framework
===========================

Finally, I've just discovered the dialog framework, but haven't yet tried
it out. If it works the way I imagine, it is pretty seamless (except for
the dialog: prefix in the actions).

However, suppose a url exists in the page which invokes a get to another
page. Is state persisted? Or is it discarded, because the flow doesn't go
through a dialog:-prefixed action? In my opinion it should be discarded in
such cases.

I can easily check this soon if no-one knows the answer to this.

That about covers what I've found. Did I misinterpret anything?
Furthermore, did I miss something?

Thanks,

Francisco Passos