From rogers_rei...@s-rod.com
Subject fixed header, scrolling body in <tr:table> ... hidden feature?
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:07:07 GMT
Hi,

I'm badly in need of a datatable with fixed headers and a scrolling body, of the type that
a few other (some commercial) JSF component sets have.  I was digging into the source of the
table renderer, and saw a lot of code related to scrolling.  It seems that if "height" is
available from the CoreTable component, the renderer will try to render the body as scrolling.

The <tr:table> tag doesn't expose "height", so you can't do this out of the box, but
as a test, I quickly created a custom renderer based off the default--which basically does
everything the same except that it forces "height" to have a value.  Sure enough, when I wire
this renderer to a custom component and display, I get the regular <tr:table> with fixed
headers and a vertical scrollbar for the body.

In IE. :-(

There is a bunch of branching in the code to deal specifically with IE (the fixed row is rendered
with absolute positioning to get around the browser bug), but unfortunately nothing in the
code that makes other browsers display a scrolling body.  That should be the easy part- setting
the proper CSS on <tbody> ought to do it in Firefox and others.

So my question is, what is the state of this feature?  Hidden, half-implemented, or something
else?  Any plans to revive it?  (note:  I am working off a fairly old build of the 1.2 branch,
but I don't recall seeing any updates about this)  For my purposes, I was going to either
(a) let the IE hack run in all situations- not ideal but might work okay, or (b) continue
extending the table renderer to properly write CSS for non-IE browsers in scrolling situations.
 Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rogers