From "Mike Kienenberger" <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: rendered="false"
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:33:07 GMT
If you're using JSF 1.1 and JSP, this is expected.   your text is not
actually enclosed by your component.

Using jsf 1.2 will fix the problem.
Using facelets will fix the problem.
Using f:verbatim around your text will fix the problem.
Using f:outputText around your text will fix the problem.

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/06/09/jsf.html