From Steven.Mur...@sunlife.com
Subject Re: [Trinidad] which component for a dropdown menu
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:05:45 GMT
There is some confusion around the MenuModel.  I have tried to implement
the MenuModel myself (without using the supplied wrapper) and I can tell
you it is not straight forward to do.  This is one part of Trinidad that
needs to change because this model is too tightly coupled with Oracles
database and cursor technology that I have never bother to learn.  I do
not think the "model" is very clean.

While the MenuModel itself can be nested, the af:menuBar can only show ONE
LEVEL of that model.  This is where the startDepth comes into play.  It
starts at 0 and this would be the root.  If you want to show next level
down you set the depth to 1, etc.  Very confusing, basically showing each
leaf of the tree.  So this is mis-leading.  Basically there is one model
and each of the component types "renders" it differently.

If you want a javascripted drop-down menu then you will have to go else
where for that type of control.  While a "nice to have" feature I think
you can easily design around it.  You could put a second menu bar below
the first, point to the same model, but set the startLevel to 1, visible
if an item is selected in top menu.  Its not a drop down but has same
effect, some might actually prefer.

Steve

Renzo Tomaselli <renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it>
01/31/2007 10:20 AM