From "magdolna holitska" <mholits...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom messages for converters
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:21:02 GMT
Hi,

I just would like to share my findings, after upgrading to the latest
version of Trinidad:

1. -- Overriding
org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.convert.DateTimeConverter.CONVERT_BOTH and
org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.convert.DateTimeConverter.CONVERT_BOTH_detail
did not work

2. -- messageDetailConvertBoth works, as long as you don's set the pattern
As I understood this is intentional, to only allow customization of the
message if the pattern is not set (I don't know why)

3. -- for achieving both customize message and also set the pattern, I ended
up writing my own converter. It's really easy, I just extended
javax.faces.convert.Converter and set the pattern and the error message to
whatever I needed. I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it, but I
didn't find a nicer way so far.

Regards,
Magdolna

>From: "magdolna holitska" <mholitska3@hotmail.com>
>To: adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org
>Subject: Re: Custom messages for converters
>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:32:35 -0500
>
>Hi Matthias,
>
>Thank you for pointing that out to update to a newer version of Trinidad, I
>will follow your advice.
>
>Also, I tried to override CONVERT_BOTH_detail, but no luck yet.
>I will try again after I switch to the new version.
>
>However, the description in the messageDetailConvertBoth attribute really
>caught my eye:
>"... if pattern is not set or is null".
>To me this sounds like if the pattern is set and not null, the message
>customization is ignored.
>Just something I felt that I should point out.
>
>Thank you for all your help,
>Magdolna
>

>>From: "Matthias Wessendorf" <matzew@apache.org>
>>To: adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org
>>Subject: Re: Custom messages for converters
>>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:17:49 +0100

>>   type="both"
>>   messageDetailConvertBoth="Well,the value ({1}) is not really in a
>>propper format, like {2}"
>>  />
>>
>>works for me w/ latest trinidad (check the trunk)
>>
>>the messageDetailConvertBoth works, only when type is both and pattern not
>>set
>>(means don't provide the pattern attr)
>>
>>have u tried to override
>>
>>org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.convert.DateTimeConverter.CONVERT_BOTH_detail
>>
>>?
>>

>>regarding "convertBothMessageDetail" we changed them during october 2006
>>(tracked in Jira)
>>
>>-M
>>
>>On 1/24/07, magdolna holitska <mholitska3@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>Hello Matthias,
>>>
>>>Thank you so much for responding.
>>>
>>>In the Trinidad documentation and demo source I have seen the attribute
>>>messageDetailConvertBoth, but interestingly, it didn't seem to do
>>>anything
>>>for me ...
>>>
>>>However, convertBothMessageDetail (found in adf documentation) did work:
>>>convertBothMessageDetail="Well,
>>>the value ({1}) is not really in a propper format, like {2}"/>
>>>
>>>The problem is, that if I add the attribute pattern (pattern="MMM-dd-yyyy
>>>HH:mm:ss") the custom message stops working.
>>>
>>>If you look at the trinidad api, they even specify in the description for
>>>the attribute messageDetailConvertBoth:
>>>"... when type is set to 'both' and pattern is not set or is null"
>>>(http://incubator.apache.org/adffaces/trinidad-api/tagdoc/tr_convertDateTime.html)
>>>
>>>Is there a way to have both pattern as well as customized messages?
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>Magdolna

>>>(org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.convert.DateTimeConverter.CONVERT_BOTH)

>>>converters.

>>>Your Space. Your Friends. Your Stories. Share your world with Windows
>>>Live
> [...]

Free Alerts : Be smart - let your information find you !
http://alerts.live.com/Alerts/Default.aspx