Adam, can you speculate a bit further on "For cases where that just doesn't work"  please ?
I mean, shouldn't be this solution a bit more deterministic ? I just read about a practical constraint on EL generated variables, which cannot be used. Is there anything else preventing tr:forEach usage for columns ?
Thanks -- Renzo

Adam Winer wrote:
You can often use tr:forEach to iterate over the columns.
(Or c:forEach, since you're using Facelets.)
For cases where that just doesn't work, you can
manually populate columns from a backing bean, though
that's certainly awkwards.

As you guessed, you can't mix up tr:table with t:columns.

-- Adam