From "Daniel Hannum" <dhan...@quovadx.com>
Subject autoSubmit + immediate + validations
Date Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:36:53 GMT
Hi,

I have a form with a required field, and a commandMenuItem that goes to
another page (but has immediate set to true). As expected, I can click
the menu link and go to the other page, and the immediate attribute
bypasses validations.

However, if I add that page a control that has autoSubmit="true", even
if the autoSubmit has nothing to do with the required field, now when I
click the menu link, it will still stop me with validation errors. If I
click the menu link again, it will go to the page as expected. I saw
reports on the Oracle forums about ADF issues in this vein. I don't know
if they have been fixed in Trinidad. Seems like this has to be a bug,
though.

To recap:

1.	Make a page with a required text field, an autoSubmit checkbox,
and an immediate link to another page.
2.	Leave the field blank and click the link. You go to the page
fine. Validations are skipped by immediate="true"
3.	Go back. Still leave the field blank, but this time click the
autoSubmit checkbox. Now click the link. You'll get validation errors
(despite the immediate="true"... bug?)
4.	Once you have the validation errors on screen, ignore them and
click the link a second time. Now you go to the page as expected.

Not being an expert in the JSF lifecycle or in the implementation of
autoSubmit, can someone explain what's going on? I love autoSubmit, but
this makes for a bad user experience.

Thanks

Dan