From "Daniel Hannum" <dhan...@quovadx.com>
Subject Add messages to the parent with dialog framework
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:25:33 GMT
I am using the dialog framework, but for one particular issue, I can't
find a good answer. I have a confirmation box that appears on some
operations, using the dialog framework. So, the calling page spawns the
dialog, and then the dialog has buttons that each call a different
method.

uploadCancel will just close the dialog and return.

uploadSubmit will close the dialog and then call a backing bean method
to continue the process.

Now, what happens if there is a problem? I had uploadSubmit catch
exceptions and add a FacesMessage to a particular component. It seems as
though my messages aren't appearing, though. I think it's because the
dialog is asynchronous. Does it redisplay the calling page when the
dialog returns?

Another option might be that the message is being added to the dialog
itself, since that's the form that called the method. But I have a
CoreCommandLink component bound to my parent page and I use getClientId
to know where to attach the message, so I'm pretty sure it's bound to
the right page.

Even if I'm putting my message in the right place and the page is
rediplaying, it may be the outcome out of uploadSubmit is a redirect,
which will clear the messages. I checked this too, and my transition is
a forward.

Is what I'm trying to do supported by the dialog framework?

Thanks.