From "Daniel Hannum" <dhan...@quovadx.com>
Subject Can I retrieve the currently selected menu item from a menuModel?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:38:58 GMT
My question is one solution to a problem that I'm facing:

Basically, I have a selectOneChoice in a facelets template, shared by
all pages, but I'd like to disable it on some pages. One option is to do
"component.setDisabled(true)" in some backing beans but turn it back on
in all the others. Now, one method I read is to put that code in the
backing bean's constructor, but that only works if all my beans are
request-scoped, which I can't guarantee.

Another option might be to use a tag attribute to make the component
disable (or not render). If I could retrieve the currently selected item
from my menuModel in an EL expression, then I could store the "should
this field be enabled?" information in the menu item class and retrieve
it at rendering time through EL. This would be ideal, because the
information about whether the select box should be enabled or not
naturally belongs in the description of the page, not in a random
backing bean constructor. I don't know how to do it, though.
ViewIdPropertyMenuModel doesn't seem to have a method that will get the
current menu item.

Though it does have a method to get the current viewId, so maybe I could
write a method to traverse my tree of menu item backing beans and find
the one with the same viewId.

At this point, I'm contemplating ugly hacks. Any other ideas about how
to accomplish this?

Thanks

Dan