From "Simon Lessard" <simon.lessar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: selectManyShuttle skinning
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:57:08 GMT
Hello Martin, I added some more comments inline,

On 8/31/06, Martin Dickson <martin.dickson@peace.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Thank you for the reply -- comments on comments inline. :-)
>
> Simon Lessard wrote:
>
> > On 8/30/06, Martin Dickson <martin.dickson@peace.com> wrote:
> >

> >> 1) How can one turn off / not render / hide the text-only links in
> >> the  Shuttle for "Move", "Move All", etc?
> >> The icon links (e.g. af|selectManyShuttle::move-icon) are addressable
> >> in a stylesheet, but there appears to be no matching ability to style
> >> (and
> >> thus hide) the text only links.
> >
> > What is the use case exactly? A shuttle with icon only?
>
> Yes indeed.  The default use of the Shuttle appears to be either a) only
> text links (no icons) or b) text links and icons.  We want c) icons only.

Not possible currently, this is quite sad. I guess we could easily implement
a skin property like -ora-show-link-text to enable skins to remove the
links. I'll create an improvement issue on JIRA about that.

> > 2) How is the :hover pseduoclass supported in Trinidad skins?
> >
> > :hover will pass thourgh the final generated CSS, however this won't
> work
> > with icons.
>
> OK -- I can see that. The images given as content in the CSS become img
> tags in the generated html... which means that I can't use a background
> image switch as we have been doing.  (This is a bit frustrating).

In the future we might support it using some JavaScript when we detect
:hover used on icons, it could fixes many issues.

> Also, beware of CSS :hover though as it work only on <a> elements in IE.
>
> Understood. There are ways around this by using IE htc behavior.

Yeah, there's always way around for IE... The one I prefer is: not use IE
:P.

> > I guess you would like to add an highlighted border to the button on
> > :hover... This would be a very nice addition imho and I will try to
> > think of the best way to support it. However I doubt it's possible at
> > the moment.
>
> Not really. What I want to do is switch images on hover.  I can
> currently do this in CSS (on Tomahawk components).  The engineering team
> now want to use Trinidad components and I need to work out how to match
> their behaviour to the rest of the UI (which uses image background
> switching), eg:
>
> a.taskIcon {
>     width: 32px;
>     height: 32px;
>     background-repeat: no-repeat;
>     background-position: 0 0px;
> }
>
> a.taskIcon.homeIcon {background-image: url("images/home32.png"); }
>
> a.taskIcon:hover {background-position: 0 -32px;}

If we had support for -icon:hover that issue would be easy:

a.task-icon {
    content: url(...)
}

a.task-icon:hover {
  content: url(someInvisibleImage);
}

> > 2a) (OK so maybe three questions) :-)  Is there a way to set a
> > specific class against each of the links in the Shuttle?
> >
> > Not currently... Would be a nice addition too. However, supporting
> > something
> > like af|selectManyShuttle::move-icon:hover looks better.
>
> Not if it doesn't support images this way.
>
> If I can't support image swapping via the skin selectors I'd still be
> very happy to support it using traditional CSS and classes on the
> links.  Without either I cannot implement with Trinidad something that
> is trivial to implement without it... and that would seem to be an
> undesirable weakness in in the skinning framework.
>
> I cannot see that removing / preventing standard CSS abilities without
> offering an alternative is a good way to go. If there is no method for
> achieving this then using Trinidad is (from this UI designers
> perspective at least) no longer just an "implementation detail". :-)

The skinning engine is improving over time, we need to have this kind of
issues reported though and if possible added to JIRA. Believe me, I argued a
lot about how skinning work in the past, and we all know it still need
ameliorations, so don't be scared to continue posting issues like that. Most
of the time we'll try to implement it when it seems reasonable. -icon:hover
will be a tad harder to implement but I believe it's an important feature as
well and I'll see if I can code it.

Regards,

~ Simon

Regards,