From Martin Dickson <martin.dick...@peace.com>
Subject Skins / css in Trinidad (and Tomahawk)
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:35:19 GMT
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to get an idea of the planned way forward with css support in
Trinidad, particularly around ADF's original/current skinning method vs.
more more normal/standard css use.

We have been using Tomahawk components, and recently added some ADF
components, to get access to partial page reloads.  These two component
sets manage css in very different ways: Tomahawk following what seems to
be the norm of allowing the application of Classes and using linked
stylesheets, while ADF performs the (to me) unusual action of parsing
the css and then injecting it into the html that is sent to the client.

We have the ADF skinning working now, but the two systems are somewhat
at odds. In addition, the ADF system appears less scalable to us; rather
than allowing the users' browsers to cache the css and do the styling
(something that scales based on the number of users) the css parsing and
injection increases server load per user.

What I'm hoping for is some information, or a pointer to some
information, on whether it is planned that this skinning system is
retained in the fully integrated Trinidad, or whether it is being
retired (or some other solution is being pursued). I'm afraid I haven't
found any documentation on this but if it has been discussed perhaps
someone could just point me in the right direction.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Dickson                           ph:  +64 9 3730400 x3592
User Experience Engineer                 fax: +64 9 3730401