From "Frank Felix Debatin" <...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: [Announcement] new name for Oracle's ADF Faces donation
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:49:13 GMT

I checked on the German register. It only shows one entry in
class 34 (which is Tobacco).   See attachments.

So there is no conflicting EU-wide entry. Obviously, this
doesn't guarantee you that there might be additional local
entries.

> I think our odds are good too, but I believe there is a
more
> formal, legally complete method.

Unfortunately, this is not true (I've gone through that
process recently, so I can tell). There is no safe way, 100%
way. Legal regulations differ from country to country.

BUT: the safest way is to register your own trademark, and
wait whether somebody objects.  If nobody objects for some
time (1/2 year?) then you are pretty safe. Unfortunately,
there is non-neglictable cost with filing a global
trademark. If you don't use your trademark, you loose it
after some time (5 years?), even if its registered.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. This is just from what I can
tell.

Frank Felix

Faces donation

> I think our odds are good too, but I believe there is a
more
> formal, legally complete method.  We've got to be 100%
sure,
> not 99.9% sure.  For example, I found that US Trademarks
> could be searched with:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=8q2si5.
1.1

> There's 47 trademarks against Trinidad, which look like
> mostly Rum and Cigar trademarks, but also plants, bathroom

> accessories, etc.  None of those 47 referred to software,
or
> anything at all high-tech.  But I'd imagine there also
needs
> to be an EU search, etc., and this is a legal question,
which
> I'm definitely not qualified to answer!
>
> -- Adam
>

> On 6/11/06, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew@apache.org> wrote:
> > Last week I used google to "filter" these names.
> > Candidates like topaz - as I expected - are already take
by
> companies
> > or other software products. For Trinidad I found nothing
like that.
> > Other of the suggested name - like GOLD - I found abit
more... that
> > might be related to software.
> >
> > I just found a software company, located in Port of
Spain :-)

> > I think with this name we have a pretty fine one.
> >
> > Good night,
> > Matthias

> > > Matthias,
> > >
> > > Thanks for organizing this!  I think we now need to do

> some sort of
> > > a more formal trademark check to make sure the name is
OK.
> > > I don't know how to do that...  hopefully someone can
help.
> > > Once that finishes, we'll repackage (adf->trinidad),
make it

wrote:

> name. Lot's
on