From "Mike Kienenberger" <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tr:convertNumber, type="currency", and BigDecimal
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:09:27 GMT
There are a couple of issues with a currency/bigdecimal converter.

- You have to strip out (or add in -- I can't remember) the currency
symbol before parsing the currency value

- You have to handle a parsing bug in DecimalFormat

You can find code to do both of these things here:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMAHAWK-610

You might also want to take a look at the Tomahawk sandbox
convertNumber converter.   It doesn't yet include the two bug fixes
above, but it provides a generic solution for converting numbers
rather than a specific currency/BigDecimal converter.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/tomahawk/trunk/sandbox/core/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/custom/convertNumber/TypedNumberConverter.java?view=markup

> I think bigdecimal should work, since it is not uncommon
> to use that type for currency values...
>
> -M
>
> On 12/14/06, David Brunette <David.Brunette@chordiant.com> wrote:
> >

> >      Hi everybody.
> >

> >      I am having a problem with using a <tr:convertNumber /> in my app
> > for submitting currency values from an inputText (see the example
> > below).  I have tracked the problem down to the fact the value is bound
> > to a BigDecimal in my bean.  If I change the type to be Double, this all
> > works fine... but the trouble is that I have to use BigDecimal in my
> > bean, so simply changing the type is not an option for me.
> >

> >      I've dug into the Trinidad code and updated the BaseConverter class
> > to successfully use <tr:convertNumber /> with a BigDecimal value.  But
> > before I create a bug and submit a patch, I would like to know if there
> > is any reason in particular that BigDecimal does not seem to be
> > supported.  Was it just missed, or was it left out for a specific
> > reason?
> >

> >      Thanks...
> >

> > Dave

> >               value="#{myBean.monthlyIncome}"
> >
> >               label="Monthly Income">

> > currencyCode="USD"/>

> > The information transmitted herewith is sensitive      information of Chordiant
Software or its customers and is intended only for use to the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from your computer.