From "Scott O'Bryan" <darkar...@gmail.com>
Subject [PORTAL] Launch Parameters
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:45:02 GMT
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at supporting "launch parameters" for the Portal in
Trinidad.  To recap my understanding of them, in the TrinidadFilter,
Trinidad does its filter stuff and then does a doFilter on the
FilterChain.  When the chain returns, the TrinidadFilter checks for the
existence of LaunchParameters and, if they exist, it essentially
executes the doFilter again with a modified set of parameters (and thus
runs the Lifecycle again).

In Portlets we really don't have this capability because this is really
controlled by the bridge right now and it is unlikely we'll be able to
support this without specific enhancements to the Bridge until JSR-286.
So my question is, would I be able to "simulate" this behavior in a
portal environment by sending a redirect back to the portlet with the
new parameters?  I know that this will cause performance issues in the
short term, but it will do so only in a Portal environment and then only
until filters are supported in a portal environment.

I'm simply not sure how these are used, exactly, which is why I'm asking
if the redirect would be functionally equivalent.

Scott