From "Joseph Rozier" <joseph.roz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automatic Adjustments vs. EL for Browser Quirks
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:22:53 GMT
On further inspection for this particular issue, I've found that the
number of characters displayed (depending on the device, font and
font-size used) is just too variable to do any kind of automatic
calculation.  It looks like in this case the developer targetting a
BlackBerry device will have to know that BlackBerry treats it as a
hint.

I'm still going to change the default size attribute (which is
hard-coded in the renderers) for the case where the developer has not
specified one.

The general issue regarding how much app developers should have to
target a particular device/browser in their code.  Obviously a
developer of an app for a company widely using BlackBerry Browsers
will likely test it on that platform.  But should an app developer
expect everything to work/look right across all supported browsers
without the need for actually trying each one?

Take care,

Joey