From "venkata guddanti" <venkata.gudda...@gmail.com>
Subject Charting Component
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 03:46:55 GMT
Hi All,

I am interested in contributing a charting component to the Trinidad set of
components. Please let me know of the interest in this component. Here are
some of my thoughts :

   - I plan to initially support the following chart types:
      - Vertical  Bar
      - Vertical Staced Bar
      - Horizontal Bar
      - Horizontal Staced Bar
      - Pie
      - Area
      - Stacked Area
      - Line
      - XYLine
      - Scatter Plot (XY Point)
      - Radar
      - Funnel
      - Box Plot
      - Gantt
   - Most of the charts will support perpective (2.5D).
   - I have the basic rendering done for some of the charts.
   - I am using SVG to render the charts. SVG is supported natively on
   Gecko. On IE it is supported through Adobe Plugin. In IE we can detect
   the absence of the plugin and put a link to the plugin install page.
   - Safari is also planning on native support for SVG
   http://webkit.opendarwin.org/blog/?p=35.
   - Opera also supports SVG natively. However I am not sure if there is
   much interest in Opera. I have not tested my rendering logic on Opera.
   - I have also considered Flash as an alternate to SVG. However flash
   intergration with the browser is not as smooth as SVG. I can potentially
   take my rendering logic and port it to Action Script. I am not sure if it is
   necessary though.
   - Since the charts will be done in SVG, there will be interactive
   support like tooltips, Click event etc.
   - I also plan to integrate with the PPR support in ADF-Faces.
   - I have not considered any RTL support in my rendering logic yet. I
   am not sure home important it is for adf-faces myfaces components.

I am attaching some screen shots of the some of the charts that I am working
on.

Regards,
Venkata