From David Medinets <david.medin...@gmail.com>
Subject Authorizations vs Column Visibility in FileCount example
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 22:17:56 GMT
README.dirlist has the following command line:

./bin/accumulo org.apache.accumulo.examples.dirlist.FileCount instance
zookeepers username password dirTable exampleVis exampleVis

The last two parameters are Authorizations and ColumnVisibility. The
README file should probably mention this. Also I feel that a short
discussion of these two concepts would not be out of place inside this
README file. I'd especially like to have the example extended (or
replaced) so that the two values are different to allow new users
(like me!) to more easily understand how the two concepts interact
with each other.

My understanding is that ColumnVisibility is associated with the data.
While Authorization is associated with the user. The discussion could
be as short as that. It would just act as a reminder to the reader.

Upon furher reflection, perhaps a README.security makes sense so that
concrete examples of these concepts can be given. Then the
README.dirlist can point to the README.security.

I'm looking at the README files in alphabetic order. I think this is
the first time that both Authorizations and ColumnVisibility are used
on one command line.