From Aaron Cordova <aa...@cordovas.org>
Subject Re: upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:56:50 GMT
BTW I love the label 'Combiner' instead of aggregator. I've been describing their capabilities
as equivalent to MapReduce combiners to new Accumulo users, so this makes it even more clear.

Are they easier to code up too? It'd be sweet if one could basically just define a function
such as

	public void combine(Key k, Iterator<Value> v)

or some such simple signature

On Jan 3, 2012, at 11:36 AM, Billie J Rinaldi wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 3, 2012 11:18:00 AM, "Aaron Cordova" <aaron@cordovas.org> wrote:
>> Also - if I have the StringSummation aggregator configured on a 1.3.5
>> table, when I bring up 1.4 will it continue to use that aggregator,
>> given that there's a new combiner framework? Is there anything I need
>> to do to keep it configured?
>
> Yes, that aggregator still exists in 1.4, but it is deprecated.  I would recommend switching
to the SummingCombiner at some point (org.apache.accumulo.core.iterators.user) with the "type"
parameter set to "STRING".