impala-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Hecht <dhe...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Removing "external data source"
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2018 19:38:22 GMT
On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Marcel Kornacker <marcelk@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is gained by removing the code?

The motivation was that we should always be looking for opportunities to
remove code, since we can't just keep adding or else the complexity of
Impala will get out of control over the long term.  This was an opportunity
to remove ~5k lines, which is a nice benefit if the feature wasn't being
used.

Regarding information schema, I definitely agree that is an interesting and
useful feature. There was a prototype of parts of that here
https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/3863/19 but it did not rely on the external
data source. I don't remember whether there was a technical reason why and
that's something we can try to understand to see if external datasource
needs to evolve or we'd be better starting from scratch.

Shant, thanks for chiming in with your take as well and that you have found
it useful and are in favor of keeping it.  And Matt, thanks for some of the
historical context and your opinion.  Of course, feel free to contribute.