impala-user mailing list archives

From Shant Hovsepian <sh...@arcadiadata.com>
Subject Re: Removing "external data source"
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:08:26 GMT
My two cents.

Haved used it for testing and prototyping little things, for example a
twitter firehouse datasource, or even a generic JDBC wrapper, makes cool
demos but not something one would use in for data intensive workloads. It
definitely has issues like defining and extracting a schema is tedious, it
does not parallelize but that is generally a hard problem. I do think it
would be cool to document better and see if the community would come up
with fun datasources. It's one feature that SparkSQL and Drill kind of do
well that I'd wish to see better support in Impala for. If it is not too
much overhead to maintain might be worth keeping.