impala-user mailing list archives

From Fawze Abujaber <fawz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Estimate peak memory VS used peak memory
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2018 18:29:14 GMT
Hi Mostafa,

I already rollback the version, so i don't know how to get the settings and
if i can get the query profile fora finished queries in the rollback
version.

But for example after the upgrade we started to see the following error
which stopped to see after the rollback: IS NOT NULL predicate does not
support complex types

   - IllegalStateException: org.apache.impala.common.AnalysisException: IS
   NOT NULL predicate does not support complex types: participants IS NOT NULL
   CAUSED BY: AnalysisException: IS NOT NULL predicate does not support
   complex types: participants IS NOT NULL

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Mostafa Mokhtar <mmokhtar@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> Mostafa
>
> On Feb 28, 2018, at 9:28 AM, Fawze Abujaber <fawzeaj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks you all for your help and advises.
>
> Unfortunately i rolled back the upgrade till i understand how to control
> impala resources and tackle all the failures that i start to see after the
> upgrade.
>

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Fawze Abujaber <fawzeaj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> My Goal is : queries that their actual memory per node exceeds more than
>> what i setup as a default max memory node to fail, despite i have a
>> different queries in the pool, in the same pool some business queries can
>> be simple as select count(*) and some others can have few joins.
>>
>> And i think this is the right decision and such query should be optimized.
>>
>> And also if i'm looking in my historical queries, i can know from the max
>> used memory per node which queries will fail, and i think this help me
>> alot, but i need any other query to queued if it asked actual memory lower
>> than what i setup as default max memory per node for a query.
>>
>> Based on the above i'm looking for the parameters that i need to
>> configure.
>>
>> i don't mind how much time and how much queries will queued, in my case i
>> don't have any impala query that running beyond 4-5 minutes and 80% of
>> queries below 1 minute.
>>
>> So i don't mind to setup the queue timeout to 20 minutes and max queued
>> to 20-30 queries per pool.
>>
>> I want to make sure no query will fail if it not exceeding the default
>> memory per node that i setup.
>>
>> should i used only the default max memory per node alone? should i
>> combined it with the max running queries or with the memory limit of the
>> whole pool?
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 8:08 PM, Tim Armstrong <tarmstrong@cloudera.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think the previous answers have been good. I wanted to add a couple of
>>> side notes for context since I've been doing a lot of work in this area of
>>> Impala. I could talk about this stuff for hours.
>>>
>>> We do have mechanisms, like spilling data to disk or reducing # of
>>> threads, that kick in to keep queries under the mem_limit. This has existed
>>> in some form since Impala 2.0, but Impala 2.10 included some architectural
>>> changes to make this more robust, and we have further improvements in the
>>> pipeline. The end goal, which we're getting much closer to, is that queries
>>> should reliably run to completion instead of getting killed after they are
>>> admitted.
>>>
>>> That support is going to enable future enhancements to memory-based
>>> admission control to make it easier for cluster admins like yourself to
>>> configure admission control. It is definitely tricky to pick a good value
>>> for mem_limit when pools can contain a mix of queries and I think Impala
>>> can do better at making these decisions automatically.

an