impala-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Quinart <bquin...@icloud.com>
Subject Re: Removing "external data source"
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2018 07:59:52 GMT
I don’t how the Impala external DataSource works. However, I am familiar with how Netezza
works with EXTERNAL TABLE and REMOTESOURCE.

Efficient and easy data ingestion to Impala (via ODBC) is something our R, Python and SAS
users miss.
You can get an idea at:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSULQD_7.2.1/com.ibm.nz.load.doc/t_load_loading_data_remote_client_sys.html
<https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSULQD_7.2.1/com.ibm.nz.load.doc/t_load_loading_data_remote_client_sys.html>
To ingest data today, users need to manage amongst others: Kerberos authentication, hdfs data
copy, hdfs access rights and Sentry url privileges.

From subsequent discussion on this thread I understand what was done will not help here. However,
I wanted to highlight this use case so you can still consider it in the future (in addition
to access to “information schema”) and not close the "external source” case forever.

> On 7 Feb 2018, at 05:47, Jim Apple <jbapple@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Is there an argument for documenting it and keeping it? Did it not meet the need it was
added for in the first place, or has that need deceased in importance?

> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 7:29 PM Philip Zeyliger <philip@cloudera.com <mailto:philip@cloudera.com>>
wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I want to bring your attention to http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/9192 <http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/9192>,
"IMPALA-6204: Remove external DataSource". This is functionality that was never publicly documented
and, to my knowledge, is not in use by anyone. We'd like to remove it to reduce complexity.