It seems that Impala indeed starts without HDFS when the flag is reset as suggested. I'm also observing some errors in the logs, due to the inability to find/connect to HDFS:

Could not read the root directory at hdfs://0.0.0.0:8020
Error was: Call From localhost/ZZ.ZZZ.ZZ.ZZZ to 0.0.0.0:8020 failed on connection exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused; For more details see:  http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ConnectionRefused

This is likely due to the fact that HDFS is still mentioned in the configs (specifically, core-site.xml still refers to fs.default.name as to hdfs://0.0.0.0:8020). Should this be modified somehow to refer to the local file system or removed altogether?

Regards,
Alex