impala-user mailing list archives

From William Cox <william....@distilnetworks.com>
Subject queries "waiting to be closed" taking up resources - how to close via API?
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:42:15 GMT
Hello all,

I'm running CDH CDH-5.8.0-1 and Impala =version 2.6.0-cdh5.8.0 RELEASE
(build 8d8652f69461f0dd8d5f474573fb5de7ceb0ee6b).
We have a major issue where many queries end up in the "Waiting to be
closed" state in the `queries` of the Impala Daemon UI.

1) is there an API endpoint I can use to find these queries in the "Waiting
to be closed" state? I can seem to find that information at all.

2) Why does this happen?

It seems these queries are sometimes (not always) created by Hue. They will
eventually disappear but during the time (sometimes hours) they are in this
state they prevent other queries from running. The UI says "they must be
closed" in order to free the resources but it's not clear how you do that
without visiting *each* of the Impala Daemons and checking manually.

It seems this *might* be related to
https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-1575. If so, i'm at the point
where I want to write a service that queries the API and just nukes these
hanging queries on some interval.

-William