impala-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Apple <jbap...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: ASF Board Report for Impala - Initial Reminder for February 2018
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2018 21:35:14 GMT
Moving to dev@ since there is nothing private in this report.

I posted the report to
https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/2018-02-21/Impala. Please let
me know if you have any corrections or additions.

Impala is a high-performance distributed SQL engine.

## Issues:

There are no special issues the board should be aware of.

## Activity:

The most prominent activity in January was the branching to prepare for a 3.0
release. Version 2.11.0 was also released in January, and a 2.x branch is
maintained with the anticipated possible release of versions 2.12.0 and
beyond. This branching enabled a number of breaking changes to finally land.

Other notable efforts include:

  * Enhancements to sampled statistics collection
  * The continuation of long-term efforts around the buffer pool
  * The continuation of long-term efforts around Kudu's RPC
  * The enablement of different decimal semantics (for the 3.x branch only)
  * Improved usage of OpenSSL (both performance and correctness)
  * The exposure of more system information in the web UI
  * Multiple improvements to test parallelism performance and correctness

## Health report:

The project remains healthy. There were 124 dev@emails, 62 user@ emails, 106
tickets opened and 104 resolved, and three new patch authors. There were 98
commits, which is consistent with the average rate over 2017 of 92 commits
per month.

## PMC and committer changes:

Tianyi Wang was added as a committer on January 5. Philip Zeyliger was added
as a committer on January 9. The most recent new PMC member was added on
2017-09-27.

## Releases:

2.11.0 was released on January 18.