impala-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Apple <jbap...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS: IMPALA-3282] Character escapes in regular expressions
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2017 17:56:58 GMT
> The
> purpose of the function is to escape a set of special characters by
> replacing the string pattern with their escaped characters.

I'm not 100% clear on what this means - what is the end goal? Is it
that the result of regex_escape contains no special regex semantics
and therefore matches only strings that contain it exactly?

If so, it seems like this forces our hand - we should escape exactly
the regex characters present in our engine, which i think is RE2.

> Do we have to extend function signature? I guess an user may want to pass a
> set of customized characters.
>
> regex_escape(string_pattern, [delimiter])

I'm not so sure that users will want that. It seems pretty specific.