impala-dev mailing list archives

From Zoltan Borok-Nagy <borokna...@cloudera.com>
Subject impala::Mutex
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:47:51 GMT
Hi Everyone,

I started to review the usage of synchronization primitives in Impala and
created this JIRA issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-6125

After some chat with Tim, we talked about the possibilities of reducing the
dependence of boost. Since now we are using C++11, there are std::thread,
std::mutex, and std::condition_variable in the standard library.

On the other hand, the standard library likes to use exceptions in case of
errors, and AFAIK we don't like exceptions in Impala. Also, we already have
utility classes like ConditionVariable in the code base. In the kudu/util
directory, there is a Mutex class which is more conform to the Impala code
conventions than boost and the standard library. It also checks the
ownership of the mutex in debug mode, which can be useful for detecting
bugs.

Do you think it would be a good idea to create our own Mutex implementation
based on kudu/util/mutex?

BR,
    Zoltan