impala-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Time for graduation?
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:06:15 GMT
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Jim Apple <jbapple@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I think it would be a good time to graduate. I'm very proud of the progress
> the community has made in terms of acting in an Apache way.
>
> Some logistics:
>
> I would be happy to serve as an initial chair.
>
> I'll draft a resolution, with a blank space for chair. This doesn't mean we
> have to agree now is the time to graduate, but we'll have it available for
> discussion and revision whenever we are ready.
>
> If we decide to graduate now, maybe we could email everyone who is on the
> PPMC, ccing private@, to see if they are still interested in being on the
> PMC, and taking no response to mean "yes" until we hear otherwise, in case
> someone is on vacation away from email, or in the hospital, or something.

That seems pretty reasonable to me, given the default is "yes". Those that
respond "no" could just be given "PMC emeritus" status. There isn't any
official emeritus policy at Apache but it's a nice way to thank these
people for past involvement and typically such members could be easily
re-instated upon their request (see
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#emeritus)

> Also, mentors are traditionally included in a graduating podling's PMC,
> right?

That's often been done but I don't think there's any hard requirement.
Perhaps we could ask each mentor whether they would like to continue to be
involved?

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon