impala-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@apache.org>
Subject Time for graduation?
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2017 21:17:39 GMT
Hey Impala community,

It's been a while that all of the Impala infrastructure has been moved
over, and the community appears to be functioning healthily, generating new
releases on a regular cadence as well as adding new committers and PPMC
members. All of the branding stuff seems great, and the user mailing list
has a healthy amount of traffic and a good track record of answering
questions when they come up.

As a mentor I think it's probably time to discuss graduation. The project
is already functioning in the same way as your typical Apache TLP and it
seems like it's time to become one.

Any thoughts? If everyone is on board, the next step would be:

1. Pick the initial PMC chair for the TLP. According to the published
Impala Bylaws it seems that this is meant to rotate annually, so no need to
stress too much about it.

A couple obvious choices here would be Marcel (as the original founder of
the project) or perhaps Jim (who has done yeoman's work on a lot of the
incubation process, podling reports, etc). Others could certainly volunteer
or be nominated as well.

2. Draft a Resolution for the PPMC and IPMC to vote upon.
-- the resolution would include the above-decided chair as well as the list
of initial PMC, etc.
-- the Initial PMC could be just the current list of PPMC, or you could
consider adding others at this point as well.

I can help with the above process but figured I'd solicit opinions first on
whether the communit feels it's ready to graduate.

Thanks
Todd