impala-dev mailing list archives

From Henry Robinson <he...@apache.org>
Subject IMPALA-5702 - disable shared linking on jenkins?
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2017 20:22:12 GMT
We've started seeing isolated incidences of IMPALA-5702 during GVOs, where
a custom cluster test fails by throwing an exception during locale handling.

I've been able to reproduce this locally, but only with shared linking
enabled (which makes sense since the issue is symptomatic of a global c'tor
not getting called the right number of times).

It's probable that my patch for IMPALA-5659 exposed this (since it forced a
more correct linking strategy for thirdparty libraries when dynamic linking
was enabled), but it looks to me at first glance like there were latent
dynamic linking bugs that we weren't getting hit by. Fixing IMPALA-5702
will probably take a while, and I don't think we should hold up GVOs or put
them at risk.

So there are two options:

1. Revert IMPALA-5659

2. Switch GVO to static linking

IMPALA-5659 is important to commit the kudu util library, which is needed
for the KRPC work. Without it, shared linking doesn't work *at all* when
the kudu util library is committed.

Static linking doesn't take much longer in my unscientific measurements,
and is closer to how Impala is actually used. In the interest of forward
progress I'd like to try switching ubuntu-14.04-from-scratch to use static
linking while I work on IMPALA-5702.

What does everyone else think?

Henry