impala-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Behm <alex.b...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Do we have a table in 'functional' with negative int/float values?
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2017 04:42:09 GMT
I don't think we have a test table in 'functional' with negative values.

As far as I can tell, the table 'functional.overflow' is a text table that
contains values that are larger/smaller than the maximum/minimum type
declare for that column.
When overflowing during a text scan, Impala will materialize the max value
for that column (based on the column type in the schema), whereas Hive will
return NULL or -Infinity.
So I'd say the behavior you are seeing is expected.

Alex