impala-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Armstrong <tarmstr...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Standards for committers and PPMC members
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2017 03:45:50 GMT
I'm still processing this and gathering my own thoughts, but first I should
make sure that I understand the general thoughts behind your examples. It
seems like the pattern in the positive examples is a deep and positive
contribution to some aspect of the project.

I think in some of those examples, where the committer hadn't touched much
code or done any code reviews, we'd expect the committers to exercise their
discretion and abstain from +2ing code reviews (instead deferring to other
committers), right? At least until they'd built up some more experience. In
that case would the argument for committership be that we want their input
on other things to have some official weight?

An alternative view I've heard is that committers (at least ones whose
committership is based on their code contributions) are people that other
committers trust to maintain the codebase and that we should determine this
based on their history of code contributions and code reviews.

Maybe that is setting too high of a bar if we want to grow the community,
since takes a long time to build up enough expertise on our codebase to
give meaningful reviews of bigger changes. I think regardless we'd expect
committers to use their discretion in deciding whether to +2 something - in
many cases there's one or a handful of people who know parts of the
codebase best and should have input on non-trivial changes.

- Tim