impala-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Armstrong <tarmstr...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Criteria for becoming a committer
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2016 21:28:02 GMT
I agree that we shouldn't be too concerned about the risk of rogue commits
- between version control and code review it's unlikely to happen (without
violating other rules and norms of the project) and is easily reverted.

I think the general criteria is that someone has made a significant
contribution to the project and has demonstrated an ability to work well
with the community, within the rules and norms of the project. It might be
easiest to give specific examples of some specific roles.

E.g.someone could become a committer based on code contributions if they
have a solid history of code contribution (a few large patches, more
smaller patches) and can effectively shepherd their patches through code
review (i.e. post a good-quality initial patch and work well with the
reviewers to address concerns).

With docs contributors, it would similarly be based on a solid history of
docs contributions and ability to work with the review process.

Outside of that, we could also look at history of contributing to project
discussions and giving constructive feedback on JIRAs, code reviews, and
other project decision-making.