impala-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Apache Impala Bylaws
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 23:52:39 GMT
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Jim Apple <jbapple@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Please review, comment, and vote: https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/3669/
>
> I have written a draft of some bylaws for Apache Impala. They are
> mostly copied from Hadoop's bylaws,
> https://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html
>
> A number of the issues addressed in the bylaws are items that must be
> addressed before graduation. I am seeking PPMC feedback.
>
> According to this draft, bylaw changes require a lazy PPMC majority,
> "3 binding +1 votes and more binding +1 votes than -1 votes". Your
> vote is binding if you are on the PPMC,
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/impala.html
>
> You can vote on this thread on the dev mailing list (archives and
> subscription info available here:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-impala-dev/) or you
> can vote on the code change itself in gerrit.

One mentor comment: from an ASF perspective, official project votes must be
on the mailing list, not via gerrit. A code review "vote" is fine via
gerrit, but since this is more of an official project policy change, it
should be done via email.

Of course, commenting on and revising the bylaws using gerrit as a forum
for easy discussion/review should be fine, so long as the end item is voted
on.

I'd also suggest that the comment/review/discussion be left open a couple
days, and only once it appears people are done making comments, call the
official VOTE. Otherwise, people are voting on a (potentially) changing
artifact, which strikes me as odd.

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera