impala-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Apple <jbap...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: IMPALA-2428 Support multiple-character string as the field delimiter
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:20:16 GMT
We must be very careful about breaking changes. We may want to put
this change in Impala 3.0, rather than 2.x, if it breaks existing DDL
statements.

> Field terminator can't be an empty string

How is this different that the current restrictions on field terminators?

If field terminators can currently be empty strings, what kind of
queries or DDL statements does this break?

Do we currently have tests for those? Do we expect that many users are
using them?

These questions are also of interest to me on your three other restrictions.