impala-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Apple <jbap...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Fw: Debugging Impala code
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 15:59:21 GMT
Sudarshan, you have asked, "Please help on list of test issues which
Nishidha has mentioned."

In my personal opinion, it would help to tackle each issue separately, in a
separate thread or JIRA for each. How does that sound?

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 1:15 AM, Sudarshan Jagadale <jagadale@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>    Thanks & Regards,
>    Nishidha
>
>    [image: Inactive hide details for Tim Armstrong ---03/24/2016 08:08:06
>    AM---If you haven't already, I'd suggest rebasing on cdh5-trunk]Tim
>    Armstrong ---03/24/2016 08:08:06 AM---If you haven't already, I'd suggest
>    rebasing on cdh5-trunk and taking a look at my patch here that f
>
>    From: Tim Armstrong <*tarmstrong@cloudera.com*
>    <tarmstrong@cloudera.com>>
>    To: Jim Apple <*jbapple@cloudera.com* <jbapple@cloudera.com>>
>    Cc: Nishidha Panpaliya/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS, David
>    Clissold/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, *dev@impala.incubator.apache.org*
>    <dev@impala.incubator.apache.org>, Manish Patil/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS,
>    Sudarshan Jagadale/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS
>    Date: 03/24/2016 08:08 AM
>    Subject: Re: Fw: Debugging Impala code
>    ------------------------------
>

>    If you haven't already, I'd suggest rebasing on cdh5-trunk and taking
>    a look at my patch here that fixes those tests for later versions of LLVM
>    (on x86): *http://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/2486/*
>    <http://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/2486/> . There were a lot of subtle
>    issues so it will save you a lot of time.
>
>    - Tim
>
>    On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Jim Apple <*jbapple@cloudera.com*
>    <jbapple@cloudera.com>> wrote:
>       You might try looking for your broken tests in the bug tracker. For
>          instance, looking for expr-test leads to
>          *https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-2995*
>          <https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-2995>.
>
>          On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 2:33 AM, Nishidha Panpaliya <
>          *nishidha@us.ibm.com* <nishidha@us.ibm.com>> wrote:
>          Hi Tim and Jim,
>
>          Once again I thank you for your quick help.
>
>          I ran run-backend-tests.sh and here is the result of all tests -
>             89% tests passed, 8 tests failed out of 71
>
>                      Total Test time (real) = 979.08 sec
>
>                      The following tests FAILED:
>                      1 - llvm-codegen-test (SEGFAULT)
>                      13 - expr-test (OTHER_FAULT)
>                      14 - expr-codegen-test (OTHER_FAULT)
>                      19 - data-stream-test (Failed)
>                      22 - buffered-block-mgr-test (Failed)
>                      32 - tmp-file-mgr-test (Failed)
>                      33 - row-batch-serialize-test (SEGFAULT)
>                      68 - filesystem-util-test (Failed)
>
>          PFA full log.
> * (See attached file: LastTest.log)*
>
>          I also investigated some of the failures like
>             - *In filesystem-util-test* : Cause of this failure is user
>                      running the tests being "root". I could not run these tests with
non-root
>                      user but I tested a sample test application that does exactly same
thing as
>                      done in Createdirectory test of filesystem-util-test and it passed
with
>                      non-root user. Also verified this by linux commands mkdir, chmod,
rmdir
>                      with root and non-root user.
>                      - *In tmp-file-mgr-test *: Even this failure looks
>                      same as it also does chmod and the tries allocating space. Since
I'm
> [...]
>          ./tests/run-tests.py). Some tests will fail since they assume 3 Impalads
>          but most should work ok.
>
>          Starting with the backend tests sounds like a good idea - they
>          do exercise some of the codegen and other architecture-dependent parts that
>          will likely be tricky.
>
>          - Tim
>
>          On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 5:09 AM, Jim Apple <
>          *jbapple@cloudera.com* <jbapple@cloudera.com>> wrote:
>             I think you should be able to run the backend tests without
>                      data loading:
>
>                      ./bin/run-backend-tests.sh
>                      # or
>                      ctest
>
>                      As in the frontend tests, you can specify which test
>                      you want to run:
>
>                      ctest --output-on-failure -R expr-test # also shows
>                      what broke, if anything
>
>                      To only build the backend test run:
>
>                      make be-test
>
>                      On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 4:12 AM, Nishidha Panpaliya <
>                      *nishidha@us.ibm.com* <nishidha@us.ibm.com>> wrote:
>                      Thanks Jim and Tim for your replies. Really
>                      appreciate your co-operation and promptness.
>
>                      I've a few more queries -
>
>                      1. What is the memory requirement of Impala to run
>                      all the tests? Currently, I see test data creation and loading is
consuming
>                      almost 7GB of RAM. And after this, it gets stopped with bad_alloc
>                      exception. I've already requested to increase RAM of my VM. But
just wanted
>                      to know if 16GB will suffice.
>
>                      2. Can we skip load testing at this stage and simply
>                      run basic unit tests at first? Or is there any setting by means
of which we
>                      can lower the volume of test data being generated/loaded? Once basic
tests
>                      are working, we can focus on load testing.
>
>                      Also, we wish to have a call with you to discuss all
>                      this. We are located in India.
>
>                      Thanks,
>                      Nishidha
>

>                      Sudarshan Jagadale---03/18/2016 11:04:45 AM---Thanks
>                      and Regards Sudarshan Jagadale
>
>                      From: Sudarshan Jagadale/Austin/Contr/IBM
>                      To: Nishidha Panpaliya/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS
>                      Cc: *vserrao@us.ibm.com* <vserrao@us.ibm.com>,
>                      Manish Patil/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS
>                      Date: 03/18/2016 11:04 AM
>                      Subject: Fw: Debugging Impala code
>                      ------------------------------
>

>                      Thanks and Regards
>                      Sudarshan Jagadale
>                      Power Open Source Solutions
>                      ----- Forwarded by Sudarshan
>                      Jagadale/Austin/Contr/IBM on 03/18/2016 11:04 AM -----
>
>                      From: Tim Armstrong <*tarmstrong@cloudera.com*
>                      <tarmstrong@cloudera.com>>
>                      To: *dev@impala.incubator.apache.org*
>                      <dev@impala.incubator.apache.org>
>                      Cc: Sudarshan Jagadale/Austin/Contr/IBM@IBMUS
>                      Date: 03/17/2016 10:39 PM
>                      Subject: Re: Debugging Impala code
>                      ------------------------------
>

>                      Was it the impalad process that crashed? If so,
and /tmp/impalad_node2.ERROR for error messages.
>                                                                      If it hit an assertion,
you will get the message in there.
>                                                                      - Look
>                                                                      in the equivalent
INFO logs for other error messages (for some crashes,
>                                                                      there is info sent
to INFO but not ERROR)
>                                                                      - Look
>                                                                      for hs_err_pid*.log
files in the directory you ran Impala from. These are
>                                                                      crash reports from
the embedded JVM in the impalad process
>                                                                      - Get
>                                                                      impala to produce
a core dump (make sure you have ulimit -c unlimited set
>                                                                      when starting the
cluster. I have it set in my .bashrc file) then debug