ignite-user mailing list archives

From "steve.hostettler" <steve.hostett...@gmail.com>
Subject BinaryMarshaller (micro) Benchmark
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2018 19:34:04 GMT
Hello,

I am puzzled by a micro-benchmark I made and that you can find here:
https://github.com/hostettler/IgnitePerfTest.git
<https://github.com/hostettler/IgnitePerfTest.git>

To reproduce the below results, just run:

$ mvn clean install
$ cd target
$ java -Xmx512m -Xmx512m -XX:+UseG1GC -jar benchmarks.jar

This yields the following result:
# Run complete. Total time: 00:13:39
Benchmark                                      Mode  Cnt   Score    Error
Units
MHBenchmark.igniteRead                  avgt  100  1800.052 ± 49.343  ns/op
MHBenchmark.igniteReadKeepBinary  avgt  100  1865.829 ± 45.450  ns/op

So the keepBinary is little bit slower then the standard get.

Here is the question: this very simple test basically compares getting a key
as Binary and directly.

My assumption (that I wanted to validate) was that the binary marshaller and
the withKeepBinary would usually be faster than unmarshalling the whole
object.

This micro-benchmarks proves otherwise. I do not doubt that I am missing
something but I cannot understand what I did wrong.