ignite-user mailing list archives

From Raymond Wilson <raymond_wil...@trimble.com>
Subject RE: Write ahead log and early eviction of new elements
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2018 00:17:07 GMT
Thanks for the clarification Mike 😊

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikhail [mailto:michael.cherkasov@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:15 AM
To: user@ignite.apache.org
Subject: Re: Write ahead log and early eviction of new elements

Hi Raymond,

>I understand when I add an element to a cache that element is
>serialized, placed into the local memory for the cache on that server
>and then placed into the WAL pending checkpointing (merging into the
>persistence store).

First, the update will be written into WAL and only then into local memory.

>What happens if the newly added element is evicted and  then re-read
>from the cache by the client before the next checkpoint  occurs?

What do you mean by "evicted"? Ignite evicts memory pages to a disk if
there's not enough space to save new record or it needs to load a page from
disk and for this purpose, it will evict some page from memory.
But it will evict the only page that is already saved to the disk.

Thanks,
Mike.