ignite-user mailing list archives

From Alexey Kukushkin <kukushkinale...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on On-Heap Caching
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2017 09:17:26 GMT
Hi,

Ignite always stores data off-heap. Enabling on-heap caching
<https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/evictions#section-java-heap-cache>
just turns Java heap into a cache for the off-heap memory, allowing you to
configure eviction policies specific for such a heap cache.

I believe the idea is that in some cases accessing on-heap is faster than
accessing off-heap, although I never saw any benchmarks or recommendations
what data access scenarios would benefit from the on-heap caching. Remember
that storing data on-heap negatively impacts GC. Maybe community will help.
You can also benchmark your use case with on-heap caching and without it
and share results with the community.